Why opt for crown lengthening?
- Fit & Functionality: If a tooth is severely decayed, fractured below the gum line, or lacks sufficient structure for a restoration (like a crown or bridge), crown lengthening is essential. The procedure exposes more of the tooth’s surface, ensuring restorations fit securely, thereby maximising their lifespan and functionality.
- Aesthetic Enhancement: Beyond its functional benefits, crown lengthening is a sought-after cosmetic procedure. Individuals with a ‘gummy smile’ often feel self-conscious about the prominent display of gums when they smile. By slightly adjusting the gum line, crown lengthening brings forth a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing smile.
The Crown Lengthening Procedure
Crown lengthening, though surgical in nature, is generally straightforward and can be completed in a single visit.
- Anaesthesia: To ensure your comfort, we provide local anaesthesia to numb the area being treated.
- Reshaping: Dr Emil Jansen will carefully trim away excess gum tissue. If necessary, minute amounts of bone may also be removed to expose a greater portion of the tooth.
- Stitching: After achieving the desired lengthening, the area is often sutured to expedite the healing process.
- Recovery: Post-procedure, you may experience mild swelling or discomfort, which usually subsides in a few days.
As always, individual needs vary, and a consultation with our dental professionals will provide clarity on the best course of action for your unique oral health and cosmetic goals.